Fall 2017 Ready-to-Wear
March 7, 2017
• Los Angeles-based designer Bernhard Willhem is always out there.
• Fall 2017 was no exception.
• The theme for the collection was “This Is All Very Dangerous,” and that phrase popped up on t-shirts, and was reflected in concepts of strength, survival, and interconnectivity.
• There were elongated hoodies reading “totally awesome muscles,” latex short shorts for men, and cotton Judo apparel-inspired items with prints of an owl—meant to symbolize wisdom and “surviving dangerous times”—and a black panther, for strength.
• There’s also a “crying monk” print painted by an Austrian artist, which appears on an oversized cape with “ears.”
• As usual, shapes are large and androgynous (except for the mini shorts), and colors are loud—neons, earthy tones, Bordeaux red, and banana yellow.
• Additional elements in play? A wizard print, and concepts of “zen survival.” There’s always a bit of the political, and a diverse range of influences, in the work of Willhem.