Fall 2017 Ready-to-Wear
February 15, 2017
• Skipping the standard runway show, Sally LaPointe decided to show her Fall collection with a museum-like installation that brought the looks to life with life-size videos of models instead of IRL ones.
• “The beginning point was intimacy,” said LaPointe. “I wanted to create a voyeuristic allure. Like you’re watching something you shouldn’t be but can’t look away.”
• The first thing that struck you about the lineup was it’s exotic materials and cornucopia of textures. Sequined skirts paired with chunky knit turtlenecks. Velvet jogger pants. Metallic Tin Man trenches. Giant furs (provided by SAGA) worthy of a rap star or Michelle Pfeiffer in Scarface.
• LaPointe’s favorite looks in the collection blended multiple elements together. A sharply cut blazer featured swaths of leopard print and slick feathers that curved around the hips. It had a lot going on, but not as much as another over-the-top jacket that incorporated over 9,000 Swarovski crystals.
• Believe me, you don’t want to ask how expensive that will be. A retail buyer chatting with LaPointe inquired about a beautiful wrap coat with feathered sleeves. The designer laughed and guessed something around $15k (it might’ve been less, but a major purchase nonetheless).
• Still, LaPointe knows her typical customer is looking to splurge on something extra special. “She takes a cool approach to eveningwear, and will rock an expensive pantsuit and not give a f*ck,” she said.