January 27, 2017
• Is there anything more fun than a Miu Miu collection? Honestly, with an irreverent twist on girlish femininity, the range never disappoints, always offering up playful wares that pack a punch.
• This season, Miuccia Prada fused 1940s silhouettes with collegiate styles (think letter sweaters and varsity jackets) for an outing that was at once sporty and sensual.
• The furs, with their quirky hues and animal prints, were standouts, as were those fluffy ostrich-embellished hats.
• Faux pearls came layered atop retro sweaters in ’70s hues, and leather jackets—shown with a-line skirts or baggy-yet-crisp denim trousers—were comfortably oversized.
• Patches and embellishments were key here. As I approached each look, I’d discover treasures I didn’t notice from afar, like beaded bows and baubles, enlarged dual-tone buttons (sometimes functional, sometimes decorative), and sometimes, those collegiate number patches were adorned with a beaded sparrow or 3-D flowers.
• This woman would feel right at home at a (very chic) tailgate or a garden party—she’s ready for anything, in any era.
• And we can’t talk about Miu Miu without mentioning the shoes and handbags. The brand’s signature ballet flats came in fur this season, and menswear brogues in pop colors were sprinkled with silver studs. For dressier occasions (or, heck, with a pair of jeans), velvet platform peep toes and Mary Janes are a Miu Miu girl’s dream, especially when worn with the oversized, embellished fur clutches.