May 3, 2017
• In the past, Chanel’s Cruise shows have been big to-dos hosted in far-flung locales. One could even say Karl Lagerfeld started the trend of major houses going abroad for mid-season shows. But like it did for its Pre-Fall 2017 outing, which was hosted at the Paris Ritz, Chanel remained in its home town for Resort.
• But that’s not to say the romp wasn’t a spectacle. True to form, Chanel transformed the Grand Palais into Ancient Greece.
• Naturally, the set hinted at the collection, which featured vaguely toga- and tunic-like silhouettes in an ethereal color palate, and patterns that recalled ancient Greek pottery.
• That being said, there was still a lot of tweed.
• While the gladiator heels offered a nice pop of color.
• Speaking of accessories, the gladiator wrist cuffs/fingerless gloves were classic Karl.
• The collection was very much Chanel’s idea of Hollywood’s idea of what the Greeks wore. Not that that matters—fashion is about fantasy, after all.