Spring 2017 Ready-to-Wear
September 12, 2016
• There are a lot of celebrities at this show. So many flashbulbs are going off. I’m momentarily blinded.
• Some really great knit pieces here, and a nice mix of different textures and fabrics.
• Details and appliqué this season include text (both in prints and embroidery), bells (that jingle), and long, dangling strings that look like eyelashes.
• The floral detailing on the trench coat and following dress is outstanding. I would love to be able to touch it. There are so many amazing textures in this collection overall.
Pleats! Such luxurious, dramatic pleats. Satin in particular is a great fabric to be pleated, as it captures the light.
This may be the first and only instance in which a dress worn over pants is chic. Technically, it’s not a dress, it’s a floor-length tunic with unattached sides, shown with matching pants for volume.
• The final look was a beautiful tuxedo, although on the back the same text and string detailing mentioned earlier appeared. While it is an interesting concept, it might date the tux, which should be a timeless item. Then again, diehard fashion fans might appreciate this in 10 years and look back on this detail with fondness.